Jump to navigation
You are here
Applications are now being accepted for a full-time position of Configuration Manager located in Whitehorse, YT.
The Manager Configuration Management is responsible for Managing and optimizing the usage of Northwestel’s infrastructure resources including: capacity management, optimizing system performance and providing configuration intelligence to assist in proactively ensuring that adequate network and OSS (Operational Support Systems) capacity is provided for current and future needs.
In addition, this position provides technical support to ensure network needs are: technically feasible, promptly and accurately addressed, tracked and planned through the close interface with Planning with input from Operations and all known business requirements.
• Plan and manage port capacity for the elements in the DSL data network.
• Review traffic engineering recommendations, network deployment plans, and DSLAM growth requests.
• Network conversion and infrastructure cutover coordination.
• Participates in design reviews and provides input into cutover plans.
• Provide technical support with customers to identify needs and forecast future requirements. As well, provide technical support to field technicians as required.
• Capacity requirement tracking and capacity needs reporting to Planning.
• Proactively support the management of operational problems through to solution, thus ensuring optimum utilization and performance of assets.
• Asset optimization and repurposing.
• Predicting and reporting assets replacement requirements based on age, ROI, capacity etc. – this includes ensuring that records are maintained for the various elements of the network to ensure accurate information is maintained for Planning dept, CRTC filings and capacity tracking.
• Release Management, including patch management (or) coordination of patches.
• Change management (overall coordination of change) on the assets being monitored.
• The incumbent is required to keep abreast of new technologies and changes in technologies and identify their training requirements.
1. Engineering degree with five year’s experience in the telecommunications/systems environment
2. Knowledge of the interaction of systems and networks and the impact of changes to one system or network to all others
3. Strong knowledge of the various networks and systems used throughout the company and keep on top of changes as technology and the telecommunication systems evolve.
4. Excellent analytical, system performance gathering skills to determine root cause quantification.
5. Project management skills for effective cutover and release management of the various systems and possess effective customer relationship skills.
6. Experience with vendor, contractor and/or right-of-way negotiations – and development of related contracts and agreements
7. Ability to perform both coax, copper and fiber based as-builds
8. Advanced knowledge of SONET, xWDM, Microwave transport and fiber optic system design principles
9. Advanced knowledge of CATV, HFC and PON architectures, Network Design Specifications
10. Strong knowledge of IP and routing protocols (OSPF, BGP)
11. Strong knowledge of DSL technology (ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL2, Vectoring)
12. Strong knowledge of Juniper MX routers(BNG), Ericsson Smart Edge, Tellabs Access Network and Dasan Zhone MSAN
13. Strong knowledge of CPE equipment (modems, ONU/ONT)
14. Familiarity with MPLS, L2-VPNS, VPLS, SNMP, VLANS, STP
15. Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products, SAP and AutoCAD (preferred)
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
Send This Job to a Friend