Jump to navigation
You are here
Field Safety Specialist
YT or NT
We are currently accepting resumes for the full-time Field Safety Specialist position located in Yellowknife, NT or Whitehorse, YT.
This position is responsible for overseeing safety compliance, primarily in Field and Outside Plant Operations, and is accountable for monitoring and enforcing compliance of employees, managers and contractors through training and education, field inspections, audits and policy enforcement.
• Conduct and issue formal safety audits and reports on work activities of field technicians, managers and contractors to ensure compliance with the Company’s H&S management system (policies, standards, safe work practices and safe job procedures).
• Conduct safety audits with regular frequency and proper documentation regarding the maintenance, repair and general care of Company vehicles and safety equipment to ensure each functions in accordance with requirements and specifications.
• Issue stop work orders as required for non-compliance and/or unsafe conditions in NorthwesTel sites.
• Conduct training, observation and coaching sessions with field managers to educate them on safety protocols, safety inspections and documentation to integrate Health and Safety practices as a part of their normal routine to prevent unsafe acts and/or unsafe conditions.
• Train and assist field personnel in the use of the Gear Inspection SharePoint site.
• Guide and support Workplace Health & Safety Committees and Health & Safety Representatives, management and employee during incident investigations as required.
• Audit contractors safety programs and conduct site inspections on contractor work sites as required.
• Conduct capital project audits as required.
• Conduct COR audits in various Northwestel operating jurisdictions and providing H&S management with regular status reports on the completion of action plans that were established through the audits.
• Review the Declaration of Known Concerns and other Company policies/protocols with contractors to ensure they have the required knowledge to mitigate hazards on NorthwesTel-owned sites.
• Support Project Managers and Subject Matter Experts (SME) in updating Declarations of Known Concerns for Northwestel sites.
• Provide guidance to Project Managers in the review and adherence to Hazard Mitigation strategies of contractors working for Northwestel.
• Assist the Health & Safety management as required in the development, implementation and conducting of NorthwesTel’s safety training programs, including researching the latest techniques, protocols and legislation to support ongoing education for employee development within the scope of the Health & Safety mandate.
• Assist in the preparation of Health & Safety documentation for a wide variety of topics and target groups as required.
• Assist Subject Matter Experts in creating Safe Work Practices (SWP) and Safe Job Procedures for Hazard Mitigation.
• Conduct required training, including confined space, pole climbing, working aloft, bucket truck operation and egress, pole top rescue, defensive driving and flagging.
• Actively participate in the Health & Safety program by working in compliance with OH&S Acts and Regulations, completing required training and reporting immediately to your Supervisor or Workplace H & S Committee member any work-related hazards and concerns.
1. Two-year diploma course in Health & Safety or a minimum of three (3) years experience working as a Health & Safety officer, preferably in the telecommunications industry.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of the legal regulations regarding construction, buildings, vehicles, heavy equipment.
3. Certification as a trainer in Fall Protection, Confined Space, Bucket Truck Egress, WHMIS.
4. Demonstrated ability to establish and promote effective relationships between individuals and or groups, in order to resolve conflicts and reach amicable and practical agreements for workplace health and safety issues and practices.
5. Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
6. Excellent organizational and planning/time management skills.
7. Excellent attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
8. Ability to direct and instruct others with positive influence and education.
9. Working knowledge of Microsoft programs (Excel, Word, Power Point and Access databases).
10. Must have a valid class 5 driver’s license.
11. Must be willing and able to do extensive travel (up to 60% time).
12. Must be willing to perform classroom and practical training sessions at various locations for up to 50% time
13. Must have a passing grade of at least 70% for the position evaluation and assessment tests.
14. Certificate in Adult Education would be considered an asset.
15. Work experience as a technician in Field Operations or Outside Plant within NorthwesTel will be considered an asset.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Aboriginal peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Aboriginal person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
Send This Job to a Friend