||801 - Application Specialist
||37.5 Hours / Week
||Stanley Park - Vancouver
Working within Vancouver Aquarium’s Information Systems (IS) Department, this position assists end users with the proper usage of the business information systems in use at the Aquarium, as well as with the evolution and continuous improvement of these systems. The Application Specialist will also act as a liaison between business system vendors and/or consultants and end-users of these applications.
Work with business system users to optimize application usage (presently including, but not limited to: Centaman POS, Raiser’s Edge, Financial Edge, Caterease, Optimum Control, etc.) by:
- Creating new and improve existing custom and/or standard reports;
- Promoting on-going user training;
- Improving systems functionality;
- Maintaining data integrity and quality;
- Assisting users in getting the most out of the business information systems;
- Supporting data integration between disparate business systems (integrated reporting, automated or manual data synchronization, etc.);
- Addressing any software problems, and acting as liaison with 3rd level support and/or consultants, to maintain and/or upgrade applications as needed;
- Researching and proposing improvements, including upgrades and off-the-shelf applications;
- Supporting other locally-developed applications (mostly MS Access);
- Developing business automation utilities as required.
Work with business system users to maintain collaborative and web technology applications by:
- Helping end-users create and maintain SharePoint sites, lists, document and form libraries;
- Helping end-users with NetCommunity, Luminate, WordFly and similar web and content management systems.
Supports the IS Department by:
- Using the IS Help Desk system to manage user requests, primary for applications, but occasionally for POS infrastructure and/or hardware (POS, Self-ticketing kiosks, and Mobi mobile data input units);
- Creating/updating/deleting user profiles for business information systems;
- Acting as backup support to other IS team members by providing additional support for A/V systems, workstations, LAN, and telephones when necessary;
- Occasionally, providing IS/IT/AV support to after-hours events;
- Performing other duties of a similar nature or level.
Consciously desires to improve the Vancouver Aquarium and its processes by:
- Promptly aiding in Emergency protocol;
- Maintaining organizational safety standards;
- Continually improving our impact on the environment and greening of operations.
Education and Experience
- College diploma in a relevant field (Information Systems, Computers, etc.);
- Minimum three years’ experience using SAP / Business Objects / Crystal Server and/or MS SQL Reporting Services – the ideal candidate would have 5+ years;
- Thorough understanding of relational databases, with emphasis on MS SQL Server and MS Access;
- Knowledge of Web technology (Content Management, Search, HTML, etc.);
- A/V skills an asset, will be enhanced with additional training;
- PC hardware knowledge an asset;
- Excellent written and verbal skills;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills;
- Good mentoring and end-user training skills;
- Strong conceptual as well as analytical skills;
- Strong business systems reporting generation and troubleshooting skills;
- Able to demonstrate a good understanding of business systems;
- Able to demonstrate an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft technologies, with an emphasis on Microsoft SharePoint back-office;
- Ability to implement design improvements;
- Ability to spot potentially problematic situations and address before they escalate;
- Ability to troubleshoot programming changes, errors, and subsequent modifications;
- Self-motivated and able to work well under minimal supervision;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Shared office space located in Information Systems workshop;
- Flexibility and availability in schedule are required during the week, including weekends and holidays in order to provide on-site after-hours support for events and to address issues or to apply maintenance to systems during the Aquarium’s off hours.
||Send This Job to a Friend