||710 - Fundraising Event Planner
||37.5 Hours / Week
||Stanley Park - Vancouver
Reporting to the Director of Partnerships, the Fundraising Event Planner, works within the External Relations Department to plan and execute all fundraising events and other internal events for the Vancouver Aquarium. This ranges from smaller more intimate events, to large scale gala fundraisers. Critical to this position is the ability to foster and develop key relationships with sponsors, donors, restaurants, wineries and suppliers. The primary focus for the role will be to lead the coordination of a collaborative team of internal parties, volunteer committees and strategic partners to plan and successfully execute all fundraising and External Relations events.
Successfully plan and execute all aspects of key annual fundraising events from the conception of the initial idea to the last detail by:
- Creating event plans;
- Conducting sight inspections and tours as required;
- Coordinating the booking and implementation of the event including staffing, facilities, catering, hiring entertainment and/or other services;
- Providing key departments with information on upcoming events and ensuring all internal teams are clear on their roles and responsibilities as related to the events;
- Managing and updating the Events section of the website with new information and photos;
- Distributing event briefing notes and execution binders in advance of events;
- Planning event debrief meetings and preparing applicable reports to ensure learnings are transferred to future events.
Generates fundraising revenue for the organization by:
- Cooperating with the External Relations team in coordinating fundraising strategies;
- Planning and executing events that will attract a large donor audience;
- Planning staffing to manage overtime costs to as little as possible;
- Administering and providing variance explanations for the budgets related to events;
- Negotiating discounted vendor contracts and/or donations and ensures donor stewardship and recognition benefits are executed as agreed;
- Works with event committees on securing event partner donations and low level sponsorships;
- Managing all internal event budgets to ensure events are conducted on budget, while maximizing fundraising potential.
Developing and maintaining strong relationships with sponsors, suppliers, event committees and internal teams to generate support for successful event execution by:
- Identifying all sponsor related deliverables and ensuring they are executed at events;
- Proactively reaching out to restaurant and beverage partners/suppliers with relevant event information and answering inquiries in a timely manner;
- Working with event production companies, entertainment and other key suppliers to negotiate contracts and oversee their involvement in the events;
- Ensuring timely execution of follow up correspondence: e.g. Confirmation letters; Thank you letters; etc.
- Coordinating special event committees to achieve desired outcomes;
- Conducting briefings for all internal teams involved with the event and assisting in training volunteers;
- Developing schedules and calendars of events to inform, coordinate and engage Aquarium employees and volunteers;
- Updating and ensuring that internal event management software and other systems are followed and kept up to date as they relate to the coordination of all fundraising events.
- Coordinating with other departments to ensure events are booked and required spaces have been allocated.
Consciously desires to improve the Vancouver Aquarium and its processes by:
- Promptly aiding in Emergency protocol;
- Maintaining organizational safety standards;
- Continually improving our impact on the environment and greening of operations;
- Providing back up support to the catering and events team on internal events as required;
- Performing additional duties as required related to External Relations activities.
Education and Experience
- Minimum five years related experience in events production and planning;
- Post-secondary education in business administration, marketing or arts at a community college or university required;
- Experience with planning and executing successful fundraising events;
- Sponsorship fulfillment experience.
- Proven ability to plan and organize events, with an acute sense of details;
- Works well under pressure, able to meet tight deadlines in a calm manner and work on multiple projects simultaneously;
- Self starter, takes initiative;
- Displays creativity and knowledge in developing event concepts;
- Strong project management, administration and planning skills;
- Can think “Big Picture”;
- Exceedingly resourceful and can think outside the box;
- Ability to ask the right question and foresee challenges;
- Polished and professional presentation, written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion in handling confidential information and sensitive situations;
- Understanding and appreciation of all philanthropy and relationship development;
- Ability to effectively establish and manage plans and budgets;
- Strong knowledge of Food and Beverage operations and Banquet Services;
- Proficient in MS Office package, Raisers Edge and Net Community database experience an asset;
- Must be able to work independently and maintain a positive attitude within a very busy environment where change occurs on a regular basis;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment under a lot of pressure.
- Standard office environment primarily, but also in galleries and behind the scenes for events;
- Ability to work long hours, evenings and weekends during pre-planning phase and onsite during events, able to stand on feet for extended hours as dictated by event schedule.
||Send This Job to a Friend